How We Protect Your Privacy
This privacy notice discloses the privacy practices for Hear for Life. This privacy notice applies solely to information collected by this website. It will notify you of the following:
- What personally identifiable information is collected from you through the website, how it is used and with whom it may be shared.
- What choices are available to you regarding the use of your data.
- The security procedures in place to protect the misuse of your information.
- How you can correct any inaccuracies in the information.
Information Collection, Use, and Sharing
We are the sole owners of the information collected on this site. We only have access to collect information that you voluntarily give us via email or other direct contact from you. We will not sell or rent this information to anyone.
We will use your information to respond to you, regarding the reason you contacted us. We will not share your information with any third party outside of our organization, other than as necessary to fulfil your request, e.g. to ship an order.
Your Access to and Control Over Information
You may opt out of any future contacts from us at any time. You can do the following at any time by contacting us via the email address or phone number given on our website:
- See what data we have about you, if any.
- Change/correct any data we have about you.
- Have us delete any data we have about you.
- Express any concern you have about our use of your data.
We take precautions to protect your information. When you submit sensitive information via the website, your information is protected both online and offline.
Wherever we collect sensitive information (such as credit card data), that information is encrypted and transmitted to us in a secure way. You can verify this by looking for a closed lock icon at the bottom of your web browser, or looking for “https” at the beginning of the address of the web page.
While we use encryption to protect sensitive information transmitted online, we also protect your information offline. Only employees who need the information to perform a specific job (for example, billing or customer service) are granted access to personally identifiable information. The computers/servers in which we store personally identifiable information are kept in a secure environment.
Customer Service Accessibility Standards
Hear for Life is committed to providing exceptional service and professional advice to all our patients including people with disabilities. The purpose of these standards are to ensure we take into consideration the different needs of a patient with disabilities and that we accommodate those needs using the principles of independence, dignity, integration and equality in the following ways:
Our employees are trained and familiar with the various types of assistive devices that may be used by patients with disabilities while accessing our goods or services, such as:
- Wheelchairs (assistance with a wheelchair will be provided in any areas that are without wheelchair accessibility, i.e. main entrance doors, washroom doors, testing areas)
- oxygen tanks
- listening devices
- Home visits
Our employees will find ways around the barriers faced by our patients with disabilities in order to communicate with them taking into account their disability. We can offer:
- Large print
- An accessible format on our website for screen reader use
- Reading the information to the patient
- Sending the information in an email to patient or support person
- Using TTY for the hearing impaired
- Using an assistive listening device for the hearing impaired
We welcome any patient with disabilities and their service animals. Service animals are allowed on all parts of our premises that are open to the public.
At Hear for Life we encourage all our patients, including patients with disabilities to be accompanied by a support person, whether that is a paid support person or a family member or friend. If our patients with disabilities choose to include a support person in all aspects of the hearing healthcare process, i.e. consultation, hearing test, evaluation, fitting, adjustments, and service appointments, we would be happy to accommodate them. There will be no additional fees associated with their involvement.
Notice of temporary disruption
In the event of a planned or unexpected disruption to services or facilities for our patients with disabilities, such as automatic doors not working, patients will be notified promptly of the reasons for the disruption, its anticipated length of time, and a description of alternative facilities or services, if available. Disruptions will be clearly communicated and posted within our premises at our front desk and made available on our website.
Training for staff
Hear for Life provides training to every employee, volunteers and others who deal with the public or other third parties on their behalf regardless of their position within the company. This training is provided to staff within their probationary period (1-3 months of service) and includes:
- An overview of the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005 and the requirements of the customer service standard.
- How to interact and communicate with people with various types of disabilities
- How to interact with people with disabilities who use an assistive device or require the assistance of a service animal or a support person
- How to use the Assistive Listening Devices, TTY, and wheelchair lifts or ramps, etc.
- What to do if a person with a disability is having difficulty in accessing HFL’s goods and services
Patient Feedback Process
In an effort to improve our services and learn about barriers that exist in our workplace, we encourage all our patients, including our patients with disabilities to provide their feedback. All patients can expect to hear back within two (2) days. Complaints will be addressed according to our organization’s regular complaint management procedure.
Patients may do this by:
- Completing a patient survey form and returning it to Hear for Life using the enclosed stamped, self-addressed envelope
- Through our website – www.hearforlife.ca Attention: Rhian Holmes, Director of Marketing and Facilities
- In person to any employee within Hear for Life
- By writing in our testimonial books in the lobby of each clinic
Modifications to this or other policies
Any policy of Hear for Life that does not respect and promote the dignity and independence of people with disabilities will be modified or removed. All employees of Hear for Life are made aware of and/or trained on any changes to these policies.
If you require further information about these standards or wish to request information or communication in an accessible format, please contact Karen Cummings, Chief Administration Officer at email@example.com or 416-466-9866 and we will be happy to help you.